Forums
Where is everyone getting stuck in the rulebook? - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://forums.gameandacurry.com)
+-- Forum: Board/Card Games (http://forums.gameandacurry.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Judge Dredd: Block War (http://forums.gameandacurry.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Where is everyone getting stuck in the rulebook? (/showthread.php?tid=2)

Where is everyone getting stuck in the rulebook? - herb_ferman - 12-13-2018

I understand that I made a few mistakes in the rulebook. It would help if you could let me know where you are having problems.

RE: Where is everyone getting stuck in the rulebook? - jeffersonpowers - 12-14-2018

I think the single biggest problem with the rule book is that you don't actually give the rules for combat. You start with "things to remember before combat" and go straight into an example of a specific combat situation that doesn't cover all of the possible variables. I honestly thought there was a page of the rule book missing. The same is true on your "how to play Block War part 3" blog post.

The example image for the first row being incorrect isn't helpful either -- I know it's too late to fix that in the printed rule book, but at least fix it in the blog post, or change the text of the example so it explains that Player 2 can't attack because his gate is closed. The rule book or blog post don't state anywhere that combat doesn't happen through closed gates, and the example image makes it look like it does.

What is missing (and desperately needed) is for the rules of combat to be spelled out, covering all the possible variables, with examples being used to support the rules. Your combat example doesn't cover what happens when a Judge who is facing my opponent wins, or when both gates are closed, or when the Judge is facing my opponent's closed gate but my gate is open and unguarded, and so on.

RE: Where is everyone getting stuck in the rulebook? - herb_ferman - 12-14-2018

Thanks Jeff,
That mistake in the rulebook page 13 was missed by all 3 of my editors and was the first thing pointed out to me about 2 weeks after the first shipment arrived in the US.

I'm working out a new rulebook pdf and continuing the how-to on the website.

-herb

RE: Where is everyone getting stuck in the rulebook? - jeffersonpowers - 12-14-2018

I would suggest correcting the how-to on the website ASAP, since that's where people are likely going to go when they're confused by the rule book.

One question I had that wasn't explained in the rules: does a Judge destroy an undefended open gate if he's not facing it? More generally, will a 0-attack destroy a gate, and does 0-attack vs 0-defense still destroy the target? For example, if a Judge is facing my opponent and I attack him with a 0-defense unit, will my unit also be destroyed in that attack?

RE: Where is everyone getting stuck in the rulebook? - herb_ferman - 12-14-2018

(12-14-2018, 06:19 PM)jeffersonpowers Wrote: I would suggest correcting the how-to on the website ASAP, since that's where people are likely going to go when they're confused by the rule book.

One question I had that wasn't explained in the rules: does a Judge destroy an undefended open gate if he's not facing it? More generally, will a 0-attack destroy a gate, and does 0-attack vs 0-defense still destroy the target? For example, if a Judge is facing my opponent and I attack him with a 0-defense unit, will my unit also be destroyed in that attack?

A 0 attack is no attack. A zero attack value is generally on the "back" of a JD card. 

Designers Note: The defense/attack values were added to the "backs" of the JD cards about 3 years into development of the game. These values represent any armor they may be wearing. You are in effect "shooting them in the back".

If the Jd unit is facing away from you/gate, it will not attack you.

[Image: direction.jpg]
The "front" and "back of the JD cards represent their facing. If the card is facing your opponent, it will not attack you because it is turned away.

RE: Where is everyone getting stuck in the rulebook? - ricky - 12-20-2018

Agree with the above.. The rules for Combat are missing :Sad The first time playing we had no idea that gates had to be open to allow combat (it's not in the rules), so it was a mystery what to do... We closed our gates every turn and wondered how the game was meant to be played. 

Also FOAM ... there is no rules to tell you what this means. It's a mystery so we took them out of the game and left them in the box in order to play.

A couple of minor points too:

1. You should say in the SETUP that players can find a suitable token to be placed on the AP tracks or else just keep track in their heads.

2. Seriously consider upping the cost to close a gate to 2 or 3 AP (keep Opening at 1 AP), or restrict drawing cards. However, I am guessing these were play tested and found to be a problem; or maybe consider it anyway ? This is to counter the obvious decision to just close all gates and hold out and keep drawing for high-explosives.

3. The rules tell us to discard a defeated Lawmaster, but there is nothing telling us what to do with a defeated Perp. So adding something about a discard pile would be good.

4. The zero attack thing we were confused by too: we did zero versus zero is mutual destruction, and a zero attack against an undefended gate from a backward facing Lawmaster destroyed the gate. Oops. So a simple line to say a 'zero attack is no attack' would do the trick.

5. one unit max per gate? I couldn't find this rule either, so should be added to Page 9 where it says play a Unit - i.e. change to 'play a unit to a gate without a unit' and/or 'a gate can only have one unit max'.

The game looks super, and hopefully a gaming community will help close all the the little loopholes. Good luck with the release!

Ricky
Box of Delights Games

RE: Where is everyone getting stuck in the rulebook? - herb_ferman - 12-21-2018

(12-20-2018, 07:01 PM)ricky Wrote: Agree with the above.. The rules for Combat are missing :Sad The first time playing we had no idea that gates had to be open to allow combat (it's not in the rules), so it was a mystery what to do... We closed our gates every turn and wondered how the game was meant to be played. 

Also FOAM ... there is no rules to tell you what this means. It's a mystery so we took them out of the game and left them in the box in order to play.

A couple of minor points too:

1. You should say in the SETUP that players can find a suitable token to be placed on the AP tracks or else just keep track in their heads.

2. Seriously consider upping the cost to close a gate to 2 or 3 AP (keep Opening at 1 AP). However, I am guessing this was play tested and found to be a problem; or maybe consider it anyway ?

3. The rules tell us to discard a defeated Lawmaster, but there is nothing telling us what to do with a defeated Perp. So adding something about a discard pile would be good.

4. The zero attack thing we were confused by too: we did zero versus zero is mutual destruction, and a zero attack against an undefended gate from a backward facing Lawmaster destroyed the gate. Oops. So a simple line to say a 'zero attack is no attack' would do the trick.

5. one unit max per gate? I couldn't find this rule either, so should be added to Page 9 where it says play a Unit - i.e. change to 'play a unit to a gate without a unit' and/or 'a gate can only have one unit max'.

The game looks super, and hopefully a gaming community will help close all the the little loopholes. Good luck with the release!

Ricky
Box of Delights Games

Thanks for all the comments. I've uploaded the new WIP rulebook that has a lot of those items taken care of. Please have a look.
-herb