Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Rulebook in progress. File link added!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IAboJxd...sp=sharing

This
Super! This part made me chuckle... "Or The person who most recently saw Judge Dredd (1997) goes last." Big Grin
Okay, brace yourself, and remember that you asked for suggestions... ;-)

Page 5

How is a gate occupied by enemy combatants?

"The player is unable to attack or open/close a gate." This statement is unclear. What does it mean? It makes it sound like I lose the game if I don't attack on every turn, or if I have a gate that can't be opened or closed.

Page 8

Under "Open 2 Security Gates," consider changing the first sentence to "each player" instead of "both players," and clarify that they must open two of their own gates.

Under "Renew your action points" -- What counter? Is this something that should have been included in the game box? This should be clarified.

Page 9

You should clarify that buying a card from the Perp deck puts in into your hand, not into play.

You should also clarify that only one unit may occupy each gate.

Page 12

"Block War is a programmed combat system" -- I don't understand what this means. I don't think this first paragraph does anything to help me understand how to play the game.

You're still not explaining how combat works. You need to spell out "if the attacker's attack value is higher than the target's defense value, the target is destroyed," and make clear that the cards attack each other at the same time, making it possible for both units to be destroyed. You cover this in the examples, but you need to state it in the rules too. You should also clarify the concept of shooting a Judge in the back.

The sentence "combat moves onto the survivor (if any) and you" is unclear. You need to explain how this works first, and then move on to examples.

Typo -- "Riot Roamed" I think you mean "riot foamed."

Individual Combat Examples

None of the examples cover what happens when Player 1 and Player 2 both have an occupied open gate, with no Judge in between. In example 2, suppose it was a Rookie Judge instead of the Lawmaster in the street. Player 1 destroys the Judge. Does his Citi-Def now attack Player 2's Punks? Do units attack more than once if there are valid targets? This is why you need to spell out all the rules in detail instead of only doing it through examples.
(12-21-2018, 04:41 PM)jeffersonpowers Wrote: Okay, brace yourself, and remember that you asked for suggestions... ;-)

Page 5

How is a gate occupied by enemy combatants?

"The player is unable to attack or open/close a gate." This statement is unclear. What does it mean? It makes it sound like I lose the game if I don't attack on every turn, or if I have a gate that can't be opened or closed.

Page 8

Under "Open 2 Security Gates," consider changing the first sentence to "each player" instead of "both players," and clarify that they must open two of their own gates.

Under "Renew your action points" -- What counter? Is this something that should have been included in the game box? This should be clarified.

Page 9

You should clarify that buying a card from the Perp deck puts in into your hand, not into play.

You should also clarify that only one unit may occupy each gate.

Page 12

"Block War is a programmed combat system" -- I don't understand what this means. I don't think this first paragraph does anything to help me understand how to play the game.

You're still not explaining how combat works. You need to spell out "if the attacker's attack value is higher than the target's defense value, the target is destroyed," and make clear that the cards attack each other at the same time, making it possible for both units to be destroyed. You cover this in the examples, but you need to state it in the rules too. You should also clarify the concept of shooting a Judge in the back.

The sentence "combat moves onto the survivor (if any) and you" is unclear. You need to explain how this works first, and then move on to examples.

Typo -- "Riot Roamed" I think you mean "riot foamed."

Individual Combat Examples

None of the examples cover what happens when Player 1 and Player 2 both have an occupied open gate, with no Judge in between. In example 2, suppose it was a Rookie Judge instead of the Lawmaster in the street. Player 1 destroys the Judge. Does his Citi-Def now attack Player 2's Punks? Do units attack more than once if there are valid targets? This is why you need to spell out all the rules in detail instead of only doing it through examples.

Thanks for that, I'll post an updated version later tonight.I believe I have covered all the rules of combat on page 12.
As I mentioned, you're still not explaining the step-by-step of combat, other than in the examples. You need step by step rules for the procedure of resolving combat, which I don't see on page 12. It's just a list of things to keep in mind.

It may seem obvious to you because you designed the game, and to your playtesters because they've (presumably) been playing it for months and probably had you to explain it to them, but someone coming to the game with only the rulebook to teach them how to play is going to be confused unless you spell it out for them in detail, which I don't think you're currently doing.
(12-21-2018, 06:23 PM)jeffersonpowers Wrote: As I mentioned, you're still not explaining the step-by-step of combat, other than in the examples. You need step by step rules for the procedure of resolving combat, which I don't see on page 12. It's just a list of things to keep in mind.

It may seem obvious to you because you designed the game, and to your playtesters because they've (presumably) been playing it for months and probably had you to explain it to them, but someone coming to the game with only the rulebook to teach them how to play is going to be confused unless you spell it out for them in detail, which I don't think you're currently doing.

Blind play testing is how we play tested it. With the exception of  about 4 people everyone played it out just from the original rulebook.
But I will look into spelling it out better.

thanks
-herb
Many thanks for adding the examples. Can I ask how the next update is going?

The YouTube play guide was also very helpful.
(01-12-2019, 05:32 PM)DrJomster Wrote: Many thanks for adding the examples. Can I ask how the next update is going?

The YouTube play guide was also very helpful.

I should have an updated ruleset tomorrow. Been a hectic 2 weeks and am playing catch-up now.

-herb
Many thanks for the update!
(01-14-2019, 09:42 PM)DrJomster Wrote: Many thanks for the update!

Updated.

thanks
-herb